These Christmas themed spiced crispy squares are the perfect healthy treat to get you in the mood for Christmas. This recipe comes from blogger SpamellaB, her blog and social media are an excellent source of ways to indulge healthily, we recommend you check them out for yourself.
Serves: Makes 9-12 bars
3 cups Gluten-free puffed rice (or rice crispy cereal - just watch out for the sugar content)
2 tbsp Cacao powder
2 tbsp Dried cranberries, chopped
2 tbsp CherryActive® dried cherries, chopped
1 tsp Mixed spice
2 tsp Coconut oil
4 tbsp Tahini
4 tbsp Maple syrup
1 tsp Vanilla extract
For the topping:
50g Dark chocolate (good quality min 70%), broken into pieces
1 tbsp Coconut oil
Flaked almonds to decorate
- First mix together the puffed rice, cacao powder, dried fruit and mixed spice in a large bowl.
- Grease and line a square or rectangular tin with greaseproof paper. Don’t skip this part!
- Gently melt the coconut oil, tahini and maple syrup in a small pan on the hob. Remove from the heat then stir into the dry ingredients along with the vanilla. Mix well until it comes together and forms a slightly sticky mixture.
- Tip this into your prepared tin and press down firmly with a spatula, packing it in tightly. Chill in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Gently melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil in bowl over boiling water then drizzle over the chilled chocolate puffed rice mixture. Scatter over the flaked almonds then return to the fridge for at least another hour to completely set.
- Cut into 9-12 bars then serve! Keep any remaining squares in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
If you would like to follow SpamellaB on social media or visit her blog please use the links below: -BACK